Have you ever wondered what your customers say behind your back?
If you polled your customers right now, how many of them do you think refer your brand to their friends?
With social media you can stop wondering and start searching. The answers to these questions are right in front of you. Your customers are sharing their experiences with your brand on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and so on!
Word of mouth marketing (WOMM) is the technique of promoting a product, service or business by soliciting positive comments from satisfied customers. Back in the day a customer would complete a survey or fill out a form to share their good or bad experience. Now with social media your customers are sharing their feedback, good, bad and ugly on social channels. Customers can create a buzz quicker and with more impact to their social audience.
Now your customers can make an impact on your brand more than most other forms of advertising!
Why does WOMM have more impact than traditional advertising?
* Consumers trust the opinions of others over traditional media. The referral from a friend or family member is simply more credible than a billboard ad.
* Consumers want to engage with your brand. The two-way conversation is the now the norm, it is expected and valued by consumers. Talk with your consumer online, on social don’t just talk tothem.
* Consumers want to learn about your brand through various channels. They trust reviews by local bloggers, testimonials from past customers and blog posts where you can showcase your expertise.
* Consumers want a say in the brands they are buying from. Use WOMM to engage with them, ask them for their opinions. share their ideas and leverage their feedback.
How can your brand leverage WOMM?
* Spend time on social reading your feeds, seeing what consumers are saying about your product. Don’t be afraid to jump in the conversation. This shows you care. Just remember not to use social as a forum for customer service. These conversations can be taken off line.
* Reward those consumers who are giving you kudos or engaging with you. Reward them by following, favoring, retweeting or simply thanking them. Nothing shows appreciation like acknowledging your consumers.
*Create a hashtag for your brand, one that you use on a regular basis. Your customers will get used to seeing this hashtag and will being using it when they engage with you. This is an effective way to track consumer chatter about your brand.
*Acknowledge Brand Advocates! Over time you will start to notice a core group of consumers who engage regularly, share your content and promote your brand. Recognize and reward them with special shout outs, Follow Fridays, coupons and special offers. These advocates are invaluable to you!
Consumers are talking about your brand every single day. Now you just have to find who they are and where they are talking about you. Join in the conversation and watch as your WOMM increases with each engagement.